Close Menu
Jackson Personal Injury Attorney
Free Initial Consultation 601-202-2222 Jackson Personal Injury

Catching up with Deadbeat Parents to Collect Child Support


If you are owed child support from a deadbeat parent who is evading payment responsibilities and leaving you to provide the financial necessities all on by yourself, you are not alone. The Mississippi Department of Human Services reports that 350,000 parents are behind on child support payments. That means that $800 million is not being funneled to the children who are legally entitled to this support. If you are one of the thousands of parents who is not receiving the child support that was ordered by a Mississippi court, a tough local attorney can help.

Failure to Pay Affects Children 

The impact on children who do not receive the court-ordered financial support is clear. All too often, these children go without. While living without a vacation is the worst-case scenario for some, living without adequate housing, food, and clothing is the consequence for far too many. Whatever the case, there is no dispute that the court has ordered the support because it falls within state guidelines, and non-custodial parents have a legal—and a moral—obligation to supply this support to their children.

Consequences to Noncustodial Parents who don’t Pay Up 

When payments are not made in a regular and timely manner, there a number of things that can be done to motivate non-custodial parents to buck up and address their responsibilities, including:

  • The individual may be held in contempt of court;
  • Child support may be garnished from wages;
  • Payments may be skimmed off the top of unemployment benefits;
  • The individual’s credit score may be impacted by a report to credit agencies;
  • The non-custodial parent’s checking and/or savings accounts may be frozen or seized;
  • The person’s driver’s license may be suspended;
  • Passport applications may be denied, or existing passports may be rescinded.

Deadbeat Parents who are out of State 

If a non-custodial parent moves out of state, the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA) may be used to create a valid court order for child support in another state. If parents continue to choose not to obey the order to provide child support, they may be referred to the Office of the Inspector General (OIG) for investigation. When the parent lives in a different state than the child, the OIG may become involved under key circumstances:

  • When noncustodial parents refuse to make these payments for one year or more;
  • When $5,000 or more is owed by the noncustodial parent;
  • When the noncustodial parent moved out of the state or the country in an attempt to avoid child support payment requirements.

If found guilty, offenders may face a number of penalties, including:

  • Restitution of owed support;
  • Fines;
  • Imprisonment.

If Non-payment is a Problem 

If you are struggling to care for a child without the court-ordered support of the child’s parent, it can be frustrating and wearisome. At the office of Derek L. Hall, PLLC, our heavy hitting team takes pride in our aggressive approach to deadbeat parents. Let us intervene on your behalf. All it takes is scheduling a free, confidential consultation, and we can get the ball rolling.


It's Time to Call Derek Hall

Contact Information

Phone: 601-202-2222
Fax: 601-981-4717

Office Hours:
8:30-5:30 M-Th | 8:30-4 F

Office Location

1911 Dunbarton Dr.
Jackson, MS 39216

Site Map

Follow Our Firm

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
MileMark Media - Practice Growth Solutions

© 2016 - 2019 Derek L. Hall, PC. All rights reserved.
This law firm website is managed by MileMark Media.