Deadly Head-on Crashes
When motor vehicles stray from the places they are supposed to be, one of the most deadly results can be a head-on collision. If you or a loved one is the victim this type of crash, you would no doubt benefit from the services of an aggressive and experienced local attorney.
Why Do They Occur?
Head-on collisions occur in a variety of circumstances:
- Drivers swerve to avoid an animal that appears on the road unexpectedly;
- Drivers become confused on one-way roads or ramps and proceed forward against oncoming traffic;
- A tired or inebriated driver crosses the median line into traffic that is coming their way;
- Distracted drivers are suddenly surprised to find that they are no longer in the proper lane;
- Winding rural roads make it difficult to see oncoming vehicles, which may be one reason that nearly half of head-on wrecks happen there;
- Impatient motorists attempt to pass in a no-pass zone, winding up on the wrong side of the road as another vehicle approaches;
- Debris, potholes or other road hazards may cause a driver to swing into oncoming traffic;
- Weather conditions make it difficult to see and/or navigate safely, and drivers cross into oncoming vehicles.
Don’t let it happen to you
Drivers can avoid crossing over into oncoming traffic by heeding these simple tips:
- Avoid getting behind the wheel when distracted, impaired, or tired;
- Pass other vehicles cautiously, and only when permitted;
- Be cognizant of road signs and pavement markings;
- Keep to the right side of your lane while driving;
- Drive appropriately for weather conditions to avoid skidding across a lane or through intersections;
- Stay alert, particularly on long road trips.
Avoiding an Oncoming Vehicle
You can be as safe as humanly possible, and still be at risk if someone else comes into your lane. Experts advise avoiding a collision with these tips:
- Reduce your speed;
- Flash headlight beams;
- Honk your horn;
- Swerve to the right;
- Prepare to crash into something on your right instead of suffering a head-on collision. Your chance of survival is much better.
Mississippi Head-on Calamities
Sadly, Mississippi families are no strangers to the devastation of head-on collisions:
- Two individuals lost their lives in June of 2017 in a tragic accident near Holly Springs;
- A head-on collision involving a school bus and an 18-wheeler resulted in three fatalities;
- When one SUV attempted to pass another on Natchez Trace Parkway, six people wound up in nearby hospitals;
- Both drivers were killed in a spring 2018 head-on crash in Madison County.
In the Aftermath of Disaster
If a head-on collision has lead to serious injuries, or worse, death to your loved ones, let the skilled attorneys at the office of Derek L Hall, PC fight for justice on their behalf. Contact us in Jackson for a free, confidential consultation today.