Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Jackson Personal Injury Attorney
Free Initial Consultation 601-202-2222 Jackson Personal Injury
Jackson Personal Injury Attorney > Video FAQs > Family Law > How is divorce initiated in Mississippi?

How is divorce initiated in Mississippi?

There’s two ways a divorce can be initiated in Mississippi.

The first way would be what we call an irreconcilable differences divorce. That’s where both parties agree that they want to get divorced. That way, they would fill out the paperwork, file the paperwork, and they would have a 60 day waiting period. It’s called a cooling off period. After that 60 days, they would be eligible to present the judge an order, and get divorced.

The other way is you file for a divorce on the basis of grounds. Some of the classic grounds being adultery, habitual drunkenness, habitual drug use, and those types of things. There’s 12 grounds in Mississippi. So, basically, you would file a lawsuit to institute those types of divorces. So, we’ve got fault-based divorce, and we’ve got no-fault based divorce.

Share This Page:

It's Time to Call Derek Hall

Contact Information

Phone: 601-202-2222
Fax: 601-981-4717

Office Hours:
8:30-5:30 M-Th | 8:30-4 F

Office Location

1911 Dunbarton Dr.
Jackson, MS 39216

Site Map

Follow Our Firm

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
MileMark Media - Practice Growth Solutions

© 2016 - 2020 Derek L. Hall, PC. All rights reserved.
This law firm website is managed by MileMark Media.